|11 Documents Adopted at the SCO Summit in Yekaterinburg|
|A meeting of the Council of the Heads of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization member states took place in Yekaterinburg. The SCO development and problems of global crisis and regional security were discussed.
The President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev, President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kyrgyzstan Kurmanbek Bakiev, President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon, President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov, President of PRC Hu Jintao, President of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari, President of Iran Mahmoud Ahmadinezhad, Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh, First Vice Premier of Mongolia Norovyn Altankhuyag, SCO Secretary-General Bolat Nurgalijev and Director of the Executive Council of the SCO Regional Antiterrorist Agency Myrzakan Subanov took part at the meeting.
The summit format, besides a private meeting of Heads of the SCO member states and a plenary meeting with the participation of heads of all delegations, for the first time included a separate private session with the participation of the Heads of the SCO member states and leaders of the Organization observer states.
Following the results of the meeting a number of documents was signed on cooperation within the framework of SCO, particularly the Yekaterinburg declaration and the Joint Communiqué of Heads of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization member states.
The irreversibility of the tendency to a real multipolarity and the increasing significance of the regional side in global problems solving are noted in the Yekaterinburg Declaration. The document emphasizes the importance of strengthening the legal foundation of international relations and enhancement of UN’s role in the world affairs, confirms the commitment to principles of maintaining peace on terms of equal security for every single states and the settlement of international and regional conflicts by political and diplomatic measures.
The parties voiced support of the Nuclear Weapons Non-Proliferation Treaty, the activation of cooperation in the field of international finances control and management, preserving economic stability. The Declaration states that the international cooperation is a non-alternative instrument in solving urgent problems of modern age, including energy and food security, climatic change, financial crisis. The SCO countries leaders find necessary more active participation of the organization member states in the global processes control.
Following the results of the summit a Joint Communiqué was also adopted where practical steps in the cooperation development in specific areas within SCO are defined.
The SCO Convention against terrorism was signed – a document developing the Organization’s regulatory and legal framework in accordance with the necessities of the times and the changing specific character of new challenges and threats.
The Heads of state approved a program of cooperation between the SCO member states in struggle against terrorism, separatism and extremism for 2010-2012, a decision on granting Belarus and Sri Lanka the SCO dialogue partner status, an agreement on anti-terrorist personnel training for the SCO member states, as well as an agreement on ensuring international information security.
Here are the documents adopted following the meeting of the Council of the Heads of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization member states:
1. Yekaterinburg declaration; 2. SCO Convention against terrorism;
3. Decision No.1 of the Council of Heads of SCO Member States on approval of the Provision of SCO’s political and diplomatic measures and response mechanisms to the situations imperiling the peace, security and stability in the region;
4. Decision No.2 of the Council of Heads of SCO Member States on granting the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka the SCO dialogue partner status;
5. Decision No.3 of the Council of Heads of SCO Member States on granting the Republic of Belarus the SCO dialogue partner status;
6. Decision No.4 of the Council of Heads of SCO Member States on approval of the SCO Secretary-General’s report on the Organization activity for the past year;
7. Decision No.5 of the Council of Heads of SCO Member States on approval of the report of the Executive Council of the SCO Regional Antiterrorist Structure on the RATS SCO activity 2008;
8. Decision No.9 of the Council of Heads of SCO Member States on approval of the Program of cooperation between the SCO member states in struggle against terrorism, separatism and extremism for 2010-2012;
9.Joint Communiqué of Heads of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization member states;
10.Agreement on anti-terrorist personnel training for the SCO member states;
11. Agreement for cooperation in the field of ensuring the international information security.